An animal spirit is believed to be a supernatural power that embodies, attaches or conveys influence empowering a person with the trait of the animal. The animal spirit is also regarded as a guide who might appear in dreams in the form of an animal. An animal spirit, or spirit guide, walks through life with a person, teaching and guiding them, and in some instances protecting them. Also refer to Power Animals.
Animal Spirit - Spiritual Energy
An animal spirit is the spiritual energy of the animal on earth. The animal spirit is greater than the actual animal because it embodies the essence of that animal spirit itself. For instance with a wolf spirit, it is the voice of all the wolves that have ever lived. It is the Medicine Wolf. It is the wolf that can see itself and speak. A spirit animal will often appear to the Medicine Man, or Shaman, as a vision during a Vision Quest and is adopted his own guardian spirit animal and teacher.
Tribal Animal Spirit
Each Native American tribe has a group of Spirit Animals that are most prevalent among its people refer to Tribe Totems. The spirit animals of a tribe usually live in the area inhabited by the tribe and have great medicine power. These tribal spirit animals are important in the life of the tribe, as guides to sources of food and other essential items or as guides to the changing seasons.
What is my Animal Spirit?
Many people ask the question "What is my Animal Spirit?" An animal spirit is identified by a strong feeling of connection to a particular animal. An animal spirit becomes apparent in everyday life when you are drawn to an animal for no apparent reason or a series of coincidences bring the same animal into your life. An Animal spirit might often reveal themselves to us through our subconscious during sleep and meditation. Every animal spirit has a special meaning and certain qualities that might help you in various stages of your life. An animal spirit that appears in a dream also has meaning.
Animal Spirit Meanings and Significance
Each animal spirit has a special meaning, characteristic and significance. Shamans believe visions and dreams come from the Animal spirits, and they interpret signs and dreams. The following chart details the meanings of the different forms of animal spirit and an interpretation of dreams that feature an animal spirit.
- Armadillo: Keeper of the Home. Methodical, accurate, slow and steady
If you dream of an armadillo Animal Spirit, may signify that you are isolating yourself and making it difficult for others to reach you. might also mean that you need to be a little be more aggressive and independent.
- Badger: Guardian of the South. Bold, out-going, good communicator
To dream of a badger Animal Spirit means your persistence and final victory over your opponents. The dream might also be a pun on badgering and aggravating others.
- Bat: Guardian of the Night. Death and Rebirth
To dream of a bat Animal Spirit symbolizes the annoyances in your life. Bats also represents your need to let go of old habits for your current way of life no longer suits your new growth and outlook.
- Beaver: Guardian of the Family. Creative and Artistic ability, builder resourcefulness, and determination
To dream of a beaver building a dam, symbolizes ambition and that hard work is necessary to achieve your own goals. It is time to put your ideas into action and settle any differences with fellow co-workers and friends.
- Bear: Meaning of Bear Guardian of the West. Strength, Solitude, Motherhood, Teaching Meaning of Bear
To dream that you are being pursued or attacked by a bear indicates aggression, overwhelming obstacles and competition. You may find yourself in a threatening situation. Alternatively, bears symbolize the cycle of life and death and renewal. It may signal of period of introspection and thinking.
- Butterfly: Guardian of Change. The Butterfly represents transformation and the ability to accept change
To dream of a butterfly Animal Spirit indicates your need to settle down. Butterflies also means creativity, romance, joy and spirituality. You may be undergoing a transformation into a new way of thinking.
- Coyote: Hunter of the West. The Coyote helps you recognize your own mistakes, Stealth, Clowning and Humor
Seeing a coyote in your dream means deception and weakness.
- Crow: Keeper of the Sacred Law. The Crow helps you to find ind balance living in present, release past beliefs. Represents Skill and Cunning
Seeing a crow Animal Spirit in your dream, represents your annoying habits and the darker part of your character. The crow may serve as messengers from your unconscious.
- Deer: Custodian of Gratitude. The Deer represents Spiritual Healing, Gentleness, kindness & compassion
Seeing a deer in your dream, symbolizes grace, gentleness, and natural beauty. It has feminine qualities and may point to the feminine aspect within yourself.
- Dog: Guardian of Loyalty and symbolizes Guidance, Loyalty and trust
Seeing a dog Animal Spirit in your dream, indicate a skill that you have ignored or forgotten, but needs to be activated. Your own values and intentions will enable you to go forward in the world and succeed. If the dog is vicious and/or growling, then it means some inner conflict within yourself.
- Eagle: The Guardian of the Skies. The Eagle symbolizes great Strength, courage Leadership and Prestige
Seeing an eagle Animal Spirit in your dream, symbolizes nobility, pride, fierceness, freedom, superiority, courage, and powerful intellectual ability. Eagles also indicate self-renewal. You will struggle fiercely and courageously to realize your highest ambitions and greatest desires.
- Elk: Guardian of Bravery. The Elk Animal Spirit symbolizes Bravery, agility and independence
Seeing an elk Animal Spirit in your dream, symbolizes strength and endurance. It is an indication that you need to spend more time with friends and eat healthier.
- Falcon: Keeper of Harmony. The Falcon - Soul Healing, Speed and Movement
Seeing a falcon Animal Spirit in your dreams, foretells that your success will make you an object of jealousy. To dream that you are hunting a falcon, forewarns that you are in danger of ruining your business reputation by being too aggressive and bringing harm to others.
- Frog: Bringer of News. The Frog symbolizes Spring & New Life, Sensitivity, Communicator, Stability
Seeing a frog Animal Spirit in your dream, represents a potential to change or to do the unexpected. Seeing frogs leaping in your dream, may indicate your lack of commitment. You have the tendency to jump from one thing to another. Alternatively, it may suggest that you are taking major steps toward some goal.
- Hawk: The Hawk is a Messenger and symbolizes Guardianship, Strength, Far Sighted
Seeing a hawk in your dream indicates suspicions are lurking around you and your activities. You need to proceed with caution.
- Horse: Keeper of Partnerships. The Horse represents Energy, Power, Message carrier, communicates with other realms
Seeing a herd of wild horses in your dream means a sense of freedom and lack of responsibilities. it might also indicated your uncontrolled emotions. To dream that you are riding a horse indicates that you will achieve success through underhanded means.
- Hummingbird: Guardian of Time. The Hummingbird symbolizes Love, Beauty, Intelligence, Spirit Messenger and Stopper of Time
Seeing hummingbirds in your dream, suggests that small ideas/concepts may possess much potential and power. Alternatively, it indicates your flighty thoughts and frivolous ideas. It may be a metaphor for your inability to commit to a relationship.
- Lizard: The Guardian of Hope. The Lizard Animal Spirit symbolizes Awareness, Conservation, subconscious hopes and fears
The lizard Animal Spirit can be representative of a person who you view as cold-blooded, fearful, or thick-skinned. On a more positive note, the lizard also symbolizes emerging creativity, renewal, and revitalization. It might also suggest that you are well-grounded.
- Moose: Bringer of Long Life. The Moose symbolizes the Headstrong, Balance and Longevity
Seeing a moose Animal Spirit in your dream, represents long life and longevity. It may refer to the elders around you. Alternatively, a moose might also indicate that you can be both powerful and gentle.
- Mouse: Guardian of Diligence. The Mouse possesses Observant qualities and diligence
Seeing a mouse Animal Spirit in your dream indicates fear, meekness, and a lack of assertiveness. You possess feelings of inadequacy and not measuring up. Alternatively, it may symbolize minor irritations and annoyances.
- Otter: Keeper of Laughter. The Otter represents Feminine Power, Playful, Trusting, Inquisitive, Bright, Loyal and speedy
Seeing otters in your dream, symbolizes happiness and good fortune. You will find ideal enjoyment or unusual tenderness with your loved one.
- Owl: Protector of the Home. The Owl symbolizes Wisdom, silent and swift, ability to see things normally, a creature of the night
Seeing an owl Animal Spirit in your dream, symbolizes wisdom, insight and virtue. The owl is also synonymous with death and darkness. Death in this sense might also represent a symbolic death, as in an important transition in life.
- Raven: The Healer. The Raven represents Creation & Knowledge - Bringer of the Light
Seeing a raven Animal Spirit in your dream, symbolizes betrayal, disharmony and misfortune
- Porcupine: Power of Faith symbolizing Safety and Protection
Seeing a porcupine Animal Spirit in your dream, suggests that you need to look out for yourself and protect yourself from emotional or psychological harm. Alternatively, it indicates that there is a situation which you need to approach with openness. Someone in your waking life may not be revealing their vulnerability.
Snake: Power of Transformation. The Snake symbolizes Rebirth, Resurrection and Initiation
Seeing a snake or be bitten by one in your dream means hidden fears and worries that are threatening you. Your dream may be alerting you to something in your waking life that you are not aware of or that has not yet surfaced. As a positive symbol, snakes represent transformation, knowledge and wisdom.
- Turtle: Guardian of Mother Earth. The Turtle Animal Spirit symbolizes Self-Reliance, Tenacity, Slow Progress
Seeing a turtle in your dream, suggests that you will make slow but steady progress. You need to slow down and pace yourself. Alternatively, it indicates that you are sheltering yourself from the realities of life.
- Wolf Animal Spirit Guide: The Pathfinder. The Wolf symbolizes Intelligence & Leadership
Seeing a wolf Animal Spirit in your dream, symbolizes beauty, solitude, mystery, self-confidence and pride. You are able to keep your composure in a variety of social situations and can blend in with any situation with ease and grace. You are a loner by choice. Negatively, it represents hostility and aggression. It might also reflect an uncontrollable force or situation in your life.