Hopi Prophecy - The Worlds of the Hopi
The Hopi cosmology beliefs are based on the present world and the past worlds and the Hopi Prophecy relate to these worlds. The Hopi believe in the eras of four worlds. The first three worlds were each destroyed until the people were led to the present world, the Fourth World. The end of the fourth World signals the start of the Fifth World according to the Hopi Prophecy
- The first world was destroyed by Fire. The first world was made by the Creator and the deities Sotuknang and Spider Woman taught the Hopi to revere the creator, but the Hopi forgot and the first world was destroyed by fire and the people who had remembered the Creator took refuge underground with the Ant People
- The second world was destroyed by Ice. The Second World was created for their emergence from the underworld, it was beautiful like the first world but in the Second World the animals no longer trusted the Hopi. The Hopi once again forgot the Creator and the world was frozen into solid ice and destroyed.
- The Third World was destroyed by floods
- The Hopi were guided by the deities and emerged from the underworld to the Fourth World, present day earth
- The end of the fourth World signals the start of the Fifth World according to the Hopi Prophecy
The Hopi Prophecy and the Fifth World
The Hopi Prophecy relating to the Fifth World is related by White Feather, a Hopi of the ancient Bear Clan, and starts as follows:
"The Fourth World shall end soon, and the Fifth World will begin. This the elders everywhere know. The Signs over many years have been fulfilled, and so few are left."
The Hopi Prophecy Signs and Interpretation leading to the start of the Fifth World
The Hopi Prophecy related by White Feather speaks of the signs that will herald the Fifth World. The signs are interpreted as follows: The First Sign is of guns. The Second Sign is of the pioneers' covered wagons. The Third Sign is of longhorn cattle. The Fourth Sign describes the railroad tracks. The Fifth Sign is a clear image of our electric power and telephone lines. The Sixth Sign describes concrete highways and their mirage-producing effects. The Seventh Sign foretells of oil spills in the ocean. The Eighth Sign clearly indicates the "Hippy Movement" of the 1960s. The Ninth Sign was the U.S. Space Station Skylab, which fell to Earth in 1979. According to Australian eye-witnesses, it appeared to be burning blue.
- This is the First Sign: We are told of the coming of the white-skinned men, like Pahana, but not living like Pahana men who took the land that was not theirs. And men who struck their enemies with thunder
- Hopi Prophecy Interpretation: Guns
- This is the Second Sign: Our lands will see the coming of spinning wheels filled with voices. In his youth, my father saw this prophecy come true with his eyes - the white men bringing their families in wagons across the prairies
- Hopi Prophecy Interpretation: Covered wagons of the settlers
- This is the Third Sign: A strange beast like a buffalo but with great long horns, will overrun the land in large numbers. These White Feather saw with his eyes - the coming of the white men's cattle.
- Hopi Prophecy Interpretation: The introduction of cattle by the European settlers
- This is the Fourth Sign: The land will be crossed by snakes of iron.
- Hopi Prophecy Interpretation: Railroad tracks
- This is the Fifth Sign: The land shall be criss-crossed by a giant spider's web
- Hopi Prophecy Interpretation: Electric and telephone line
- This is the Sixth sign: The land shall be criss-crossed with rivers of stone that make pictures in the sun
- Hopi Prophecy Interpretation: Concrete roads and highways and their mirage-producing effects
- This is the Seventh Sign: You will hear of the sea turning black, and many living things dying because of it
- Hopi Prophecy Interpretation: Oil spills in the ocean
- This is the Eight Sign: You will see many youth, who wear their hair long like my people, come and join the tribal nations, to learn their ways and wisdom
- Hopi Prophecy Interpretation: The Age of Aquarius and the Hippy movement
- And this is the Ninth and Last Sign: You will hear of a dwelling-place in the heavens, above the earth, that shall fall with a great crash. It will appear as a blue star. Very soon after this, the ceremonies of my people will cease
- Hopi Prophecy Interpretation: The U.S. Space Station Skylab re-entered Earth's atmosphere and disintegrated in 1979, with debris striking portions of Western Australia that according to Australian eye-witnesses, appeared to be burning blue
The Hopi Prophecy - The Emergence of the Fifth World
The Hopi Prophecy as spoken by White Feather ended with the his following words:
These are the Signs that great destruction is coming. The world shall rock to and fro. The white man will battle against other people in other lands - with those who possessed the first light of wisdom. There will be many columns of smoke and fire such as White Feather has seen the white man make in the deserts not far from here. Only those which come will cause disease and a great dying. Many of my people, understanding the prophecies, shall be safe. Those who stay and live in the places of my people also shall be safe. Then there will be much to rebuild. And soon, very soon afterward, Pahana will return. He shall bring with him the dawn of the Fifth World. He shall plant the seeds of his wisdom in their hearts. Even now the seeds are being planted. These shall smooth the way to the Emergence into the Fifth World.